Monday, April 23, 2007

Place or Nation?

If I choose to become a member of a nation because it gives me a good job and lifestyle, I am really interested in that nation only as a place, and it makes sense if one day I leave it for another place which can offer me superior conditions and opportunities.

It is when I stick around when a place cannot guarantee me a good life, or I am concerned about the welfare of others in that place, and try to improve things even at a risk to my own good life (say, I join the political opposition), that I can say I am of the nation, and not just the place.

(Lim, Linda. 2006. "Singapore:Place or Nation?" The Straits Times, June 19th)

Linda Lim is a Professor of strategy at the Stephen M.Ross School of Business and director of the Centre for South-east Asian studies, University of Michigan.