Saturday, January 05, 2008

Experience of PRK

Well, since Ed requested. I shall post what I remember of the whole procedure.

After doing the final checks, and getting robed. I was asked to lie on this bed and was soon pushed under this long metalic counter, which is the "laser machine".

So after that, I was adminstered with more anesthetic eyedrop. Following that, my eyelids were held apart by some tape and some form of clip. After that was done, alcohol was added onto my eye and after that some anti scarring agent. When it was time, the doctor started scrapping off a layer off my outer cornea. This is the most horrible part. I was so scared I was actually shaking underneath the blanket. As the doctor was scrapping, the vision gets blurrer and blurrer. To give you an example, it feels like the windscreen wiper wiping your eye.

After this scrapping process, the laser is applied onto the eye for less than 15seconds. All you have to do is to stare straight at the blinking light. During the process, you may smell something burning. Ya that is the smell of burning cornea. After this, the eye is washed with cold water, a piece of protective contact lense is placed onto your eye and the procedure is carried on on the other eye.

Immediately after the procedure, my vision improved tremendously. I have never experienced seeing somebody's face abt 1metre away from my eyes without specs for many years. But for the first time in that many years, I saw my Doctor's face w/o glasses.

The pain that followed for the next 2 days were horrible, I couldnt even open my eyes. But during the 3rd day, the wound healed and it wasn't painful at all. And today, which is the fourth day, I removed the protective piece of contacts from the eye.

At this point in time, I really should rest my eye now. Seeya!