Sunday, February 25, 2007

Society

I recall something my tutor Mr Gui Kai Chong said during my first Sociology tutorial. A Phd student himself specializing as a Conflict Theorist, he said that the study of sociology has made him a much sadder person.

At this point in time as I am reading my textbooks and readings, I finally understand how he feels. There are so many issues faced by our society, but yet these issues may seem very common and easily understandable. Its sad seeing all the ugly side of this industralisation even though the fruits of this labour would ultimately be a higher standard of living which is actually the root of many of the problems faced by us today.

These problems such as rising inequality, falling infertility etc are very easy to understand, but they are extremely difficult and almost impossible to counter upon.

Will this eventually result in the end of the human race?