Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Education

I wonder what is the essence of education nowadays.

What is the point of being in a top 5 JC when you cannot even help someone with the slightest of things.

One little example, an old lady was stretching her hand way out trying to press the bell of the bus, this guy from a certain JC, was right in front of the bell, had 1 hand free and just stared at the old lady struggle to reach for the bell without helping. I would have pressed the bell, if I werent holding on to a laptop and a plastic bag and the handle, even though I was not in a very convenient position myself.

I always thought education would make the society a better place, but... I'm losing faith in this shit. This investment in human capital seems to be making humans more inhuman and more capital. I have heard way too many stories about how kids take their parents for granted and threaten them etc.

So education gives them knowledge but takes away their morals and civic-mindedness?
So I assume this is a zero-sum game then? Whereby, Knowledge + Civic-mindedness = a fixed constant?
Any gain in Knowledge must be accompanied by a corresponding loss in Civic-mindedness?
So, change in (+ve) Knowledge = (-ve) change in Civic-mindedness.

Okay, enough of this whining.

MTI-NUS Dialogue is over, it was a pretty good experience, even though I was just a slacker there. Yes I know, I have to admit this. The food is really quite good. Had a rather engaging conversation with a couple of the Economists there and they made my desire to work in the Public sector even stronger. It could be hard selling from their side, but I still want to try.

Today is a red egg day! Haha. Thanks mum.

I over slept on the train for the first time in so many years.
Miss the station when I came back. Haha. Oh well. I guess it is a sign that I should sleep more.