Monday, December 10, 2007

Rising Prices.

CPI is rising. Taxi fares are rising. And I believe that bus and MRT fares are going to rise too.

People would have different reactions vis-a-vis the hike in fares, but mine would be to simply cab less.

Sadly, none in my family has benefitted from the boom economy in Singapore. My mum hasn't had a bonus in 3 - 4 years, got her pay docked a few times because her company wasn't performing well and yet she puts in 200% effort in her job. I've a fixed nominal allowance, despite rising nominal wage from tuition from teaching longer hours, I'm getting less utility from teaching my boy. Partly because I feel underpaid and partly because I want to use more brains when teaching.

Some people are filthy rich, while some struggle to stay afloat in the vast and hungry ocean. Some are born into it, while some work hard for it.

Money is such an amazing entity. You can never do without it. Money per se isn't everything, but in contemporary society, ceteris paribus, I'd rather be rich than poor. Thus I need to keep myself motivated in moving towards my goals. Whether I get a Ph.D or not doesn't matter, all I seek is success and happiness.

Motivation comes in different shapes and sizes.

For me, it's my family. What's yours?