Sunday, June 17, 2007

Pursuit of Happiness.

Ripping this off Buddy's blog:

I just saw Ronald's nick:

How do you know when you're happy and not trying to be happy?

Indeed.

This has really sparked me thinking. Can I really be happy? What do I want in order to be happy.

A good job? A family of my own? A car? A comfortable house? A lot of money? Having a paycheck of $10k/mth?

What about scoring an A for a test? or even having a delicious ice cream? Such small events do give me a sense of happiness and fufilment momentarily, but do they add up to a greater happiness?

Na's views is that she cares more about the little happiness as she is unsure of the future.

I understand her point of view, but what I am curious about is whether anyone can be truly happy?

The pace in Singapore is pretty fast and there isnt much time for someone to take a breather. Wake up, wash up, take breakfast, work, home, dinner, wash up, sleep. - This vicious cycle goes on and on in a capitalist system. Everyone is a slave of this system, although each individual is different, but we are all mere pawns in this game of chess and can be easily replaced. With the falling birth rates, the increase in cost of living disproportionately higher than the rise in wages, the fall in rate of dependency per adult, it just gets tougher.

Many would have to work till they are in their late 60s.

Can they be happy? Will I be happy?

Will you be happy?